Physical and Mental Abuse Put Children at Risk for Heart Disease
“If we can't begin to agree on fundamentals, such as the elimination of the most abusive forms of child labor, then we really are not ready to march forward into the future.”
Child labor refers to using children as a source of labor whilst depriving them of their fundamental rights, exploiting children for financial gain and forcing children to perform work that is legally prohibited to be performed minors and children.
Something as devastating as child labor can have troubling effects that range from undernourishment, starvation, mental trauma, illiteracy and the lack of health care resulting in poor health. One of the most lingering effects of child labor is stress; physical and emotional distress and trauma because of the abuse. However, headaches, asthma attacks and cardiovascular problems can also occur as a result.
Studies have found that people were physically abused as children have higher rates of heart disease. They are in fact, 46% to 56% more likely to develop heart disease than their counterparts who had not been abused; this could be due to a combination of depression and stress.
Child Labor Facts
- 152 million children between 5 and 17 are victims of child labor
- Half of these children are 5-11 years
- 73 million of 48% work in hazardous child labor
- Hazardous child labor occurs mostly in children aged 15-17
- 1 million of all children subjected to child labor can be found in Africa, Asia & the Pacific, the Americas, Arab states, Europe and Central Asia
- 58% or 88 million of child labor victims are boys
- 42% or 64 million of child labor victims are girls
If so many children are subjected to extreme living and working conditions, thus being put under extreme stress and abuse, it is easy to see how heart disease becomes such a major problem in adults; every child must become an adult someday. Each trauma that children experience they take into their adulthood one way or another, but it never really leaves and that is why we must fight against child labor, and fight for the children of the world to be safe, happy healthy and free.